Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

-Ever Present Friend-


Today is October 19th, which is a very special day to me. Not because it signifies that I have been in Tchad for a little over a month now. It is special to me because it means that it is my mothers birthday. In one month my mother and sister celebrate their birthdays. Being in another country when loved ones or close friends have birthdays doesn't make the distance easier. I wish that I could give her a gift, sing to her, and eat cake with her, but that's impossible. The month that I have been here has affected me the same way as when I first got to S. Korea, I felt alone at times. Family are very important to me, so being so far and not being able to call as I like or be able to see them hurts. When I fist got to Tchad I was fine with not being able to talk as much. I finally got a cellphone after being here for two weeks, which made it seem better. When it hit me that I miss the connection to family and friends is when everyone else here was able to talk to others. It hit on days when I just wanted to call someone to ask for advice or encouragement. Days when I just wanted to hang out with some of my friends. Days when I felt sick and wanted that good ol home cooking to make me feel better. The days when things don't go as planned is when it hits you, there is no one you can fb/skype/call right away. The internet is reallllly slow here, so that really cuts off how much I get to interact with the outside world. One of those days when I felt alone I finally did what I should have done before, I talked to God. I had it all backwards, cause I should have talked to Him way before.
            Let me go back into time real fast. In 2008 I went to South Korea to serve as a teacher for a year. I was in the big and booming city of Seoul, which has about 10 million people. Despite the fact that there were millions of people around, I still felt very much alone. Just like now, I was in a foreign land surrounded by people who I couldn't understand culturally and language wise. I didn't have my internet set up correctly for a little while and used calling cards to call home. I felt alone and wondered why God would want me there. Then I allowed God to be my comfort and friend. I eventually made more friends, understood the language and culture more. By the end of the year came I didn't want to leave yet. Now let’s come back to present time…
I am in the same position as I was a few years ago. There are less people around, but I don't understand the languages or culture. I will be here not teaching English for a year, but health. Before I came here I knew that it would start off rough and I would get lonely at times, since that's naturally going to occur. God had to remind me that He hadn’t left me. He has been with me every step of the way therefore He will be with me for the steps to come. He had to remind me as well that I came here for a reason. The reasons why I think I came here are to help the people health wise and lead them to Christ. That may not be why God brought me here, it may be more for me than them.
During those lonely days or nights I have to look to God. Those days when I feel friendless, I remember the greatest friend I have, God. Those times when I feel sick, I look to Him for comfort. Those days when I feel I am lacking everything, He reminds me of how special I am to Him. Being away from certain distractions (TV, internet, fb..) makes me stop and depend on Him. I don't have easy access to things, so I have to look to Him more and more. It should not take taking away all distractions to make one realize that the best way is to fully depend on Him, but sometimes that's what it takes.
I wrote all this so you know how I am doing also as encouragement to who may need it. When I feel homesick I remember that my best friend, comforter, and encourager is with me (God). Those times when you feel the same as I have just look to God. This will not be the easiest year for me, but knowing that He will be there with me makes the year not seem so much better. Family and friends know that distance may separate us, but God is taking good care of me. J Love and miss you all!
-       Take the time to express how much you care and appreciate people. Don't take for granted that you can easily reach over to them, go to their house, or call them whenever you want.
* Love you mother and Happy Birthday!! You have been such an encouragement to me through out my life. Even when I decide to go to countries far away, you have supported me every step of the way. I appreciate you for being you and the lovely mother that you continue to be. Thanks for putting up with me ;P. Thanks for your never ending love. 

2 comments:

  1. Charis waited patiently for the Lord to help her,
    and He turned to her and heard her cry.
    He lifted Charis out of the pit of despair,
    out of the mud and the mire.
    He set Charis' feet on solid ground
    and steadied her as she walked along.
    3 He has given her a new song to sing,
    a hymn of praise to her God.
    Many will see what He has done Charis and be amazed.
    They will put their trust in the Lord.


    4 Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord,
    who have no confidence in the proud
    or in those who worship idols.
    5 O Lord my God, you have performed many wonders for us.
    Your plans for us are too numerous to list.
    You have no equal.
    If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds,
    I would never come to the end of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Charis, thanks so very much for being such a loving, thoughtful, spiritual, inspiring daughter. Things I used to dream of doing, you are now doing by God's grace. Keep following His lead in all areas of your life. You are in my prayers several times a day. Love ya lots and always, Mommy

    ReplyDelete