Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

~Stars fell on me~

   There are only a few people who may know that I love to star gaze. I could lay down and look at stars for hours if given an opportunity. This is something that I have enjoyed since I was a kid. I did not want to be an astronomer, but somebody that did something with stars (I didn't know what exactly). Stars are one of the reasons that I like not living in a big city. I knew that when I came here I would fall in love with the sky. There is something about looking into the night sky that relaxes me. The best time to look at stars is when there is not a flicker of light within yards. I live in Bere' where more than 98.5% of the people do not have electricity, which means perfect night skies. 
     The other night I decided to do something different than what I usually do. The place that I feel like I can get away and just think are on the swings on the far corner of the compound. I decided to combine both of my favorite things to do. I went to the swings where there was not another person in sight. I swung high to the deep black sky. It was as though I was getting closer to the stars. If I swung high enough I felt I could capture one of the twinkling stars. Being out there where no one could disturb me alone in the dark with only the stars felt freeing. Tchad has to be one of the top places to look at at the sky. The land is flat here like it is in Florida. Since it is so flat and there are  not a lot of people spaced close together one is able to see the whole landscape. I can see miles out and only have a few trees or homes blocking the way. The sky seems to be larger than life out here. It as though the sky stretches further out, so one can enjoy God's canvas better. With the sky being so humungous here, one can see so many more things in the sky. Being out here has made me understand why there is the song "twinkle twinkle little star." At night the stars appear to twinkle, sparkle, and dance around the night sky.
     What I also love about the open sky here are the sunsets. When the sun sets here it seems as though the whole sky is on fire from the sun. There are so many times that I have gone on walks "running" after the sun. I am trying to get that perfect African sunset picture captured. On many occasions I will see that there are clouds that are stretched across the sky painted in various colors. I go and grab my camera and run out of the compound towards the rice fields. Some people must wonder what is wrong with me since I go out just to take pictures of the sun. I walk down one rice field path till I cannot capture the sun anymore. Than another day I try to go further down that path or down a new one. It is just me, my camera, iPod, and the sun out in the open fields. Every once in a while I will meet someone along the path that will ask what I am doing out there. I explain in my broken French that I love the sun so I am taking photos.
 One day I will get that National Geographic photo that I am wishing to get…
     Another reason why I like being out under the sky is that it reminds me of God. When I am out in nature I feel like I am a step closer to God. It is as though God is walking and talking with me. To me nature declares that there is a God who created the world, because nature is so beautiful, detailed, and complicated. When the world around me seems to be overwhelming me than I go out to where I can be alone with my thoughts and God. Nature is not a place where everyone feels like they can get away from the busyness of life, but it is for me. If you have not found a place where you can just get away from it all than I challenge you to find it. It is healthy for us to be able to clear our minds of worries, challenges, and tasks to be able to just relax in solitude. Life has a way of robbing us of our peace at times, so go out and find a place where no one can take it from you. Where do you like to go to get away? 

1 comment:

  1. I to enjoy looking into the night sky. Brings to mind Psalms 8:3-9. ....when you get a chance youtube louis giglilo how great is our God. When I consider the enormity and the awesomeness of the heavens I say with psalms "what is man that you are mindful of him"....
    mln

    ReplyDelete