Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

-Can You Help Me Find My Way Home?-

       Today was not much different from other days. Some missionaries felt perfectly fine, while others felt sick. We conducted trainings with the new community health workers. Afterwards would be time for French lessons, but things did not go as expected. Olean, which is one of the doctors here, asked our translator Naomi to find out a ladies story that was at the hospital. She is Hausa and does not speak English or any language spoken here. I was curious to find out what was going on with this lady. We eventually found her in the common cooking area sitting on the ground. I stood behind the lady while Naomi went all the way down to her level to greet her. Naomi spent the early years of her life in Nigeria so she is able to speak Hausa and understands things about their culture. The lady was excited to finally speak to someone that understood her. As she told Naomi about her state she had tears running down her face. I was behind her so was unable to see all that was happening. Naomi found out from the lady that she got lost and ended up here at the hospital. We do not know how she got lost in the first place, but here is what we understood. 
     She lives in Nigeria, but not in the same area as her children. Her children live in Bori, which is very far from where she resides with some children that she takes care of. She does not have any contact information for any of her relatives. Her parents and grandparents are all dead. She got  lost in Nigeria and some white lady saw her and picked her up and brought her to Cameron. She was then taken to Lye, Tchad by another white person. Some European people brought her to the Adventist hospital. She was at one point staying by a market in the bushes, but did not eat. The reason that she was in the cooking area was because she was begging for food, but no one gave her any. When we meet her she was eating a handful of peanuts. She told Naomi that she would like some food, cloth, and sleep with her at her house. She felt like she finally meet someone that could understand her and no longer felt as lost. She indicated that she was going to die today because she had not eaten all day long. 
     What do you do when you meet someone that does not know how to get back home? You call the police or missing person services. I doubt the police here will do anything. There is not a missing person services here in Tchad. Naomi and I did not know what could be done with this lady with so many unanswered questions. We prayed for God to show us what to do and help this lady. I got one of my pieces of cloth that I brought here from the States. We then went to get some food and drink for her right outside of the hospital compound. It was enough for her to make it till tomorrow. 
     We went back to the common cooking area and she was still in the same spot that we left her in. This time I sat next to her and was able to see the lady behind the mystery. She is small framed, which can be due to her having AIDS. She has smooth skin that also speaks that she has lived a rough life. Her eyes looked tired, lost, and appreciative at the same time. Her high cheek bones and small face seemed to exclaim that she was from Nigeria. Her soft and faint voice showed that she was tired, weak, and scared. The tears that rolled down her face said that she was tired of being lost and just wanted to get back home to what was familiar. Her slender corse hands indicated that she has worked hard for most of her life. When Naomi gave her the things that we got for her she put her hands together as in a shape of a bowl. This meant that she was thankful for my help. She clasped my hand with both her hands and thanked me for what I had done and that God would take care of me. Even though I did not understand what she was saying her demeanor spoke volumes to me.
      I have been lost on several occasions, but often it was with someone else. When I was a little kid I got lost in a regular size walmart. I looked here and there for my mother while tears rolled down my face. Those few minutes that I was lost felt like an eternity to me. This lady has been lost for days, weeks, or maybe months. This lady cannot call for her family to meet her at the front of the store like many kids do when they are lost. She cannot call anyone since she does not know their numbers. How will she get back to her country? How will she get back to her home? Does she even know where she lives? Does she have Alzheimer's? Was she in a new part of town and got lost? Was she kidnapped? Is her family worried and looking all over for her?? There are so many problems and questions, but no answers. Right now God is the only one that has the answers. There is a reason why she was ultimately dropped off at this hospital and it maybe cause we can help her get back home. If I could I would send her on a flight back to Nigeria where people could take her back home. If I could I would giver her Dorothy's shoes from the Wizard of Oz, so that she could click her heels together and get back home. 
     I cannot say that I understand exactly how this lady feels. I cannot say that I know what to do. What I do know is that I will do what I can and God can lead us along the way. I have never been in such a position, so I do not know which way to turn. Please keep this lady in your prayers. Please pray for us find a way to get this lady back home where she belongs. If you know of what could be done please let me know. 
     While writing this post what came to mind is how we are to God. We were or are lost at some point in our lives. We do not even realize we are lost till we have gone far away from what we know. Some continue down the road that they are going while others try to find another option. Along the path we find those that want to help and those that lead us further down the wrong road. God has rescued people over and over and extended an invitation for us to be His. He rescues the lost sheep to bring them to live with Him. He is the shepherd that loves each sheep the same, so if one of them is lost He will go looking for them for as long as it takes. I am grateful that God looks for me every time that I go straying off onto another path. I am thankful that He loves me so much that no matter how lost I was that He still welcomed me back with open arms. Thank you God for never giving up on us!!

~ Help those in need as much as you would like them to help you. ~

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Charis. Touching post. Do you have an update on the lady getting home? Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that's so sad. Beautifully written Charis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading my post. It is such a sad situation. I added more info on her in new blog post.

    ReplyDelete