Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

-Did you say food?!-


    The time that I look forward to the most is the weekend. The weekend means being able to relax from work and planning. Sundays aren’t completely free from that, but for the most part they are. Sunday what we usually do is have a volleyball match with most of the missionaries in Bere. On Sabbath I wake up with a smile on my face because 1. I get to sleep in 2. I get to dress up 3. Delicious food. Back in the states I looked forward to the weekend as well, but it's a different type of appreciation here. On this day I take more time to get ready. It makes a girl happy to get a little dolled up every once in awhile. What usually happens is that I attend the English Sabbath school, which is led by Dr. Rollin Bland. The remainder of the service is in French and Nanjara. I still do not know that much French except a few words and I definitely don't know Nanjara. Nanjara is the language that is spoken in Bere area. It is also the name of the people from this area. Down in Bere people will speak one of those languages and/or Arabic. Since I am not good at French it can be hard to follow what is happening with the service, but I do try. Going to church makes me want to learn more French just so that I can understand all that is happening. Its good when you sit next to someone who understands what is being said and will translate for you.
After church us missionaries head back to the hospital grounds, which is only a few feet away. Then we get ready for the highlight of my weekend, potluck. Potlucks are what I look forward to throughout the week. We talk amongst one another about potluck before it comes because we are excited for all of the great food. I got to get physically blessed as well! J The potlucks comprise of each family or group bringing a dish of their choice. Sometimes we may have a theme and then people bring out food that you wouldn't see here, such as lasagna. I look forward to this time because I get to stuff my face, but also I get to eat familiar food. Familiarity at times is what can bring a smile to ones face. This is also the time for all of us to be able to socialize and laugh with one another.
After potluck some people head down to do Sabbath school in a small village that's a few miles away. I went the first Sabbath that I came here and kept hearing people refer to it as the “naked Sabbath school.” We packed in the truck and drove to a little village off of the main road to Kelo. We walked through tall bushes on a windy path till we entered a small clearing. Around seven kids greeted us from when we first drove up. The people teaching the Sabbath school set up the felt presentation while kids come from here and there. About thirty kids came to sing and listen to the story. I soon realized why it was called the “naked Sabbath school.” Almost half of the kids came naked or half naked. I was later informed that there are usually more naked kids than that. The kids ages range from one to about ten. We left and went down to the river to see if we could see any hippos, but there were none out that day.
The “naked Sabbath school” is done every Sabbath if it doesn't rain. It is ran by the Branches and taught by locals or missionaries. This Sabbath school would not be considered “normal” in the states cause of the lack of clothes, but it is more than that. The kids may not have much, but yet they come out ready to hear a new story. In the states it can be hard to get kids to Sabbath/Sunday school because they don't want to go. It is a simple thing that is done, but it is something that can make a big impact. The way that they decided church planting is to start with teaching the kids. Then when there are a lot of people they make it a church. So often the kids can be the forgotten ones, but they are the most important component of ministry.
If people don't attend the evening Sabbath school than they may just relax and talk with one another. Since this is the time when people can forget about work things they take advantage of the time. I will stick around and talk or listen to sermon. This past Sabbath I went to the Blands house to watch their slideshow of pictures from Thailand and Cambodia. Afterwards I went on a photo walk near the compound. I have been trying to get a great picture of the African sunset for the last week, but either miss it or only get a few minutes of it. I preceded to explore some of the roads to see where they led. I didn't go out too far just in case I got lost. Saturday nights comprise of games or movie nights outside or at the Parkers. There are always great games along with competition amongst all of us. With all of these fun things who wouldn't look forward to the weekend! 
                 
~Take time to enjoy what life has to offer~

3 comments:

  1. Charis, thanks so much for the reminder to live in the moment and be mindful to enjoy life's offerings. Sounds like I would really look forward to the weekends in Bere, too. Maybe I'll be able to include some kids clothes in your Christmas box. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have clothes my kids out grew...how would I go about making a clothing donation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment never published before.
    You can send items to this address and address it to me

    Adventiste de Bere
    BP 52 Kelo
    Tardjile Ouest
    Republique du Tchad

    ReplyDelete