Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Never forgotten

Living in a different country is always exciting within itself. The new air, tastes, sights, sounds,  and unique things within your grasp. All of your senses are exposed to a new experience. I have not seen even a quarter of the world, but I have still gotten around. So far I have been to South Korea, Thailand, China, Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Chad. Every place has given me unique adventures and memories that I will carry with me forever.
A couple of Thursday evenings ago, I had one of those epic moments that aren't the biggest deal, but still leave a touch in your memory. If I were to be direct and not whatsoever poetic I would say that I went to a different village, helped with mobile clinic, ate dinner there then came back home. By saying it that way it gives no justice to what I truly experienced. Many times people want to just get down to the meat of a story, but to me the small details are what make the experience real to the other person. Sooo I will have to give you the details of my impressionable day.
That day started like many days, me waking up to see that I accidently fell asleep for longer than normal..oh maybe those aren't the details you care about ,let me skip to the more interesting part. In the afternoon we left to go to a nearby village with four nurses, one doctor, two medical students, two project 21 workers, and two translators..we squished most into the suv and the rest went by moto. After riding quite close squished between two people on a moto, we finally ended our bumpy route. We set up shop after being greeted by eager kids that were waiting for our arrival. Kids were instructed to go into one line to get their health checked and receive a pill for worms. The adults and pregnant women were asked to go into other lines. Young, newborns, grandparents, and all between came to get their health checked for free.
It was amazing to see a baby move around in a mothers belly, which we watched on a small portable synogram the size of an Ipad. The mothers would look at the screen and smile from being able to see such a miraculous wonder.
More than halfway into the day one of the nurses, who is a missionary here, was asked to asses a woman who delivered a baby that morning. The husband walked briskly in front of us, guiding us down the different dirt paths that led to his small compound. As we walked up to the round, mud brick hut that she was in, I felt like I was stepping into one of those documentaries that you see on TV where you are deep in the bush of Africa, but in reality I wasn't. She was laying down on a straw woven mat placed on top of bricks. You could see the fatigue that was behind her weak eyes. She handed over her new God given baby boy over to Kim. The boy was chunky and seemed to be completely fine. Kim and Naomi massaged her stomach to see if there were signs that her uterus wasn't contracting. Kim also made sure she wasn't hemorraging. After consulting the mother on exculsive breastfeeding and what to do if the pain didn't subside, we walked back to the clinic.
I took pictures of the surrounding area and kids periodically. The kids loved to gather around and look at their faces on the screen. Soon they began to ask if I would take another and another photo. They would point at the photo saying that's me, that's me.. Having a camera around kids here brings such joy to their day. Later on I was talking to a nurse that is just visiting for three weeks, she found a little girl to hold. The girl extended out her little arm signaling that she wanted me to hold her. As I held her in my arms I noticed that she became more and more relaxed. Soon she was fast asleep resting her head on my arm. I sat on a mat while rocking her off to deep sleep. To hold a small child in your arms as they relax into sleep is one of the most touching things about kids. For me, it is as though the child is saying that they trust you and find you comforting as well.
We stayed out in the village longer than expected, thus I was ready to head back and get some food in my stomach. The pastor informed us that they were in the midst of preparing food for us. What a pleasant surprise! I have experienced many times when we go out into the different villages, that they put it upon themselves to prepare us tea or dinner. These acts of kindness warms my heart, because they go out of their way to show their kindness when they truly do not need to. Zach, Miki, and I waited under the stars for the food to be finished, while the rest of the crew had to head back home. We ate our famous Chadian dish of boulle with sauce. (Boulle is rice that has been pounded down into flour then boiled. Afterwards it is placed into a bowl, which gives it it's shape). We ate as much as we possibly could then mounted the bike heading back to Bere. I sat in the middle again, but this time I was more willing because the night air was already chilly. We bounced up and down the dirt road, while shivering and wishing we had brought jackets. After riding along the sandy path through the rice fields we approached our destination of the hospital compound.
Though not much happened that day, it is the small things that I will remember. There are not many times I will probably experience going to do a mobile clinic, assessing a woman after delivered in her hut, or riding under the stars on a moto with three passengers. Since I won't always have these days, I will have to cherish them. People say to live each day in the present and enjoy it, instead of rushing for tomorrow. Those moments as simple as a kid reaching for your hand, seeing a magnificent sunset, swimming in a river, or giving something to someone in need are ones we are to hold onto. We should also go out and try to make memories, instead of living a mundane life. Life is to be lived, it doesn't need to be in a foreign country, it could be just down the street. Life is what you make of it, so take a walk through the woods, sleep under the stars, learn a new hobby, teach a kid a game, or simply sit by the beach. Whatever you choose to do, just take the time to live in the moment.

~ Cherish those moments that tug at your heart. Make memories for others as you make them for yourself. ~

No comments:

Post a Comment